Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Cinco de Mayo Swimmin' and Cookin'

Cinco de Mayo!  A day for my people...although, in case you're not in the know, May 5th is NOT the Mexican Independence Day some think it is.  That day belongs to September 16th.  I know.  I really am that smart.
This Cinco de Mayo turned out to be a big adventure for little missy.  It was her FIRST,
yes FIRST
pool day!

It started off a bit rocky when we lathered on the sunscreen and stuck goggles on her head.  "Hello Mom and Dad!  How's a girl supposed to suntan?  And don't get me started on those silly glasses!"

Quick story: there were these two "California girls" suntanning right by us and Raquel was screaming.  I was certain they were thinking, "Oh boy, could you please quiet your child!"  Hoping to soften them up, I apologized for Raquel's cries.  Immediately, they popped up and over to us, talking "baby talk" to Raquel like she was their niece.  Raquel stopped her complaints right away and just sat watching the girls as they adored her.  They were so nice...and I had been so judgemental.  I guess I just assume people will be annoyed with me if Raquel cries, but the more I talk to people about this, the more I realize I've just got to take care of my baby and not worry about what other's think; especially because there are probably more kind-thoughted people than mean-thoughted ones.
On with the swimming! 
Once Raquel finally made it into the water, she was very focused.



So, you may remember these outfits from last Halloween, but we vowed then that we would wear them every Cinco de Mayo.  We're so dorky.

I know I know, Raquel needs traditional wear too.  I'm on it... someday.



In case you're wondering, for dinner we made gorditas and for dessert we made oven-baked churros.  The gorditas were YUMMY but the churros, well, how can oven-baked even come close to fried?

1 comment:

Charisse said...

Raquel is so Stunning in her swimsuit! I love that she is so focused! What a cutie! And yes, you are definitely dorks, but we wouldn't love ya as much if you werent!! ;)