Saturday, August 28, 2010

Letting Myself Go

Remember that seminary object lesson about a frog?  You know the one.  Put a frog into boiling water and he'll hop out.  Put a frog into warm water then slowly turn up the heat and he'll boil to death.  Well today I'd like to liken that to my life.  You've all heard the phrase "She's really let herself go."  Some of you have probably said the phrase yourself.  I used to think, how can people do that?  One day trendy.  The next day sweatpants.  And then it hit me.  No one wakes up one day and says, "Yeah, I think  I'll let myself go today."  It just doesn't happen like that.  It's the frog thing.  It's a process that happens gradually and slowly. 

Well, I woke up recently only to find myself on that slippery slope.  Now, please don't go looking for evidence in my blogs.  It's just that...well...I've been telling myself, it's normal not to put on makeup EVERY day.  To tell you the truth, that's been happening more often lately.  To feel better I've been reminding myself of all the money that saves.  I've even been venturing out into PUBLIC without makeup.  Some days, I've found myself wearing pajamas until noon.  One day this week I didn't even get dressed.  Then, a couple of days later I look down to find myself in sweatpants.  When did that happen?  I don't bother with anything more than side ponytails.  I used to hate ponytails.  I stop messing with contacts.  A box of Twinkies are hidden under my bed.  I start buying reaching sticks and frozen dinners at the grocery store.  I STOP grocery shopping and order my food online.  I get a cat.  A little later down the road I stop showering.  And then it happens.  Someone, a close friend probably, sees me and has that thought.  The thought that stereotypes me as THAT girl.  The thought that we've all heard and said.  "Boy, she's really let herself go."  The water is boiling, people.
ENOUGH!  I won't buy frozen dinners.  I will go grocery shopping.  I won't get a cat.  I will keep showering.  I won't buy twinkies...well, at least I won't hide the twinkies.  I won't buy sweatpants.  I will get dressed before noon.  I will wear makeup every day.  I won't be that frog!

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

I am so that frog.

Andrew and Heather said...

You remind me of myself last fall (and this week). Andrew would come home from school and I was in the same spot I was the day before when he got home and I was still in my pajamas. It is just easier to let it happen when you don't really know anyone remotely close to you! Some days you just need to be lazy!

Amber Madsen said...

Sister, you have REALLY let your self go if you are NOT wearing make-up in public!! I think I have only seen you ONCE, maybe twice without make-up and now you are letting complete strangers see you without it ... what is going on??? :)