Luis started back to school on Monday, so that meant I had to take my little boy back-to-school shopping on Saturday. Before we left, we had the talk about how he had to make sure he got enough of everything for the whole year because I was NOT going to buy a notebook for $2.13 if I could get it now for $0.20 (which happened last year one month after the back-to-school sales ended...mutter mutter mutter).
We arrived at Target and headed back to the school bins. Luis began by picking up 2 notebooks. "Honey," I said, "is that enough for the WHOLE year?" He paused and picked up 5 more. Next, he went to the folders and took 3. "Oh sweetie, will 3 folders be enough for the WHOLE year?" He hesitated and then chose a few more. He then went over to the note cards. He told me there would be many presentations this year and he would definitely need some of those. Can anyone guess what happened? He grabbed one. (I don't think someone was getting the concept of the WHOLE year.) "Luis darling, are you sure you don't need more than that? Because I'm stinking not going to buy note cards at full price when we can purchase deeply discounted ones now during back-to-school sales." He took 2 more.
He admitted to me he had never bought for the whole year before and was finding it hard to get into that mindset. From then on, every time he went to a new section, I simply said, "The WHOLE year" and he knew what to do.
My proud moment came when he walked over to the pencils and picked up a 50 pencil pack all by himself. My little boy is growing up!
I may have affected Luis too much because he had a sort of crazed look by the end of the night. It still gives me nightmares.
First day of school and I didn't even cry as he headed out the door!
Moral: teach hoarding early to your young ones.
3 comments:
Oh Smashly, you never seem to bore me in your posts! Your are always full of funny ways to tell simple stories!!! Love ya!!
Hahaha! I love it! By the way, I keep trying to call you and I am pretty sure you are ignoring my phone calls!
I love it! Although I think I got to hear this story in person before it was even posted. I feel quite honored! Way to teach him, Ashley!
Post a Comment