It feels like I haven't had much to blog about lately. I guess things have been pretty quiet around here...literally. Luis studies all the time and so I TRY to be quiet. (Let's face it - I can't. I usually end up asking Lu questions and telling him story after story.)
Well, one thing I DO have to blog about is my new job. I mentioned it on a previous post, but let me give you some details. It is only 3 hours a day, but let me just say, I'm loving those hours. After not working since MAY when I finished teaching, it's killing me to stand again for hours at a time. It is a before/after school child care (K-5 grades) at a nearby elementary. What do I do? Beats me.
My first day was Tuesday. I was told I would be working in the K-1st grade room, which I knew would be traumatizing. I got there plenty early to beat the end-of-school-day madness. You would think someone would be there to tell me what I would be doing BEFORE I had to start. Nope. The bell rang, kids came in, and I stood there not knowing what to do. One worker finally asked me to "check their homework." What does that mean? Do I check to see if it's there? Check to see if it's done? Check to see if they're doing it? After "checking," I sort of just wandered around the rest of the night. I pretty much felt like an idiot.
People always say it takes a special kind of person to be a kindergarten teacher. I am finding out why. First of all, everywhere I look, noses are being picked. Whiny voices never stop informing me who is cutting in line. Every second, someone needs to go to the bathroom. There's the kid in the corner sobbing because he can't remember where to put the feathers on his turkey hat. It's simply past these darlings to remember my name, so instead I get the never ending tapping accompanied with "um...um...um...um...um...um" until my attention turns to said tapper. Oh boy, let's hope I can survive this.
Here was the most awkward part of the night. So, I'm outside with the kids and a couple other assistants. Wanting to be friendly, I walk up to one and ask her how long she's worked at the elementary. She tells me, "Oh, I've been here since August, but now you're replacing me so I'm out of a job."
WHAT DO I SAY TO THAT? Awkward!
The next day, I was given more direction so it ended up being much better. I have hopes that I'll enjoy it more and more as I get to know the routine, kids, and co-workers. And hopefully I won't put anyone else out of a job.
2 comments:
Oh my goodness! You didn't tell me what that worker said to you! Wow! What a special soul. I wouldn't have known what to say either. Totally awkward! I hope it gets better asap.
That is so awkward! Have fun with all those little nose-pickers!!
Post a Comment