I had my first child/hospital ER experience this month. It was an ordinary day - Luis was at work and Raquel and I were playing at home and skyping with Mom. Without warning, Raquel lost her balance and smacked her face into the edge of our wooden bookcase. Blood was all over and it took a minute to discover the source of her oozing. Thankfully, Mom was right there (via computer) to keep me calm and help me know what to do, though I must say, my impulses seemed to be right in line with what Mom instructed, so I guess my "Mommy Instincts" are intact.
Once Raquel started to calm down and Mom and I were able to get a look at her cut lip, we decided she might need stitches. I called Luis and told him to come home so we could have a car to take her to the Instacare. Unfortunately, as I called around, I found that most Instacare locations wouldn't touch her cut lip because of scarring issues. They told us to take her to the ER because they would be more skilled at stitching up facial wounds. We arrived at San Antonio Hospital, checked in, and began our wait. 5 hours and 2 waiting rooms later, she was finally seen, stitched up, and dismissed. Like has happened so many times in her life, Raquel AMAZED me! Throughout our wait, she was fairly cheerful and patient, even walking around saying hi to fellow patients. During the stitching process she did scream and squirm and they held her down, but I honestly expected it to be a lot worse. Even I found myself calm and non-hysterical as I watched the procedure. Afterwards, they handed her to me and she fell asleep in my arms within 5 minutes.
I'm still a little worried about her having a scar on her lip, but it seems to be fading a little more each day.
Once Raquel started to calm down and Mom and I were able to get a look at her cut lip, we decided she might need stitches. I called Luis and told him to come home so we could have a car to take her to the Instacare. Unfortunately, as I called around, I found that most Instacare locations wouldn't touch her cut lip because of scarring issues. They told us to take her to the ER because they would be more skilled at stitching up facial wounds. We arrived at San Antonio Hospital, checked in, and began our wait. 5 hours and 2 waiting rooms later, she was finally seen, stitched up, and dismissed. Like has happened so many times in her life, Raquel AMAZED me! Throughout our wait, she was fairly cheerful and patient, even walking around saying hi to fellow patients. During the stitching process she did scream and squirm and they held her down, but I honestly expected it to be a lot worse. Even I found myself calm and non-hysterical as I watched the procedure. Afterwards, they handed her to me and she fell asleep in my arms within 5 minutes.
I'm still a little worried about her having a scar on her lip, but it seems to be fading a little more each day.
1 comment:
Poor little Raquel! :(
Post a Comment