Saturday, November 17, 2012

In Our Fancies

Throughout his days at Western, Luis has spent many after school hours putting together a Spanish course that will one day help pharmacy students learn to communicate with their Spanish-speaking patients.  Right now, he's heading the program along with one of the assistant deans of Pharmacy.  I've had mixed feelings about this because it has meant more time away from ME, but I'm really proud of his dedication and hard work.
 
Because of his leadership role, Luis was recently inducted into Phi Lamda Sigma, a pharmacy leadership honor society, and Raquel and I were invited to attend a banquet in his honor (there might have been others inducted the same night, but let's not talk about them and just pretend the whole shabang was for Luis and Luis only).
 
Raquel and I are both fine ladies, so we HAD to get all dolled up for the occasion.  Our friend, Jen, let us borrow this absolutely darling dress for Raquel.  Eeeeek!  I loved it!  And the jacket?  It was mine from babyhood.


Three things made our night extra special:
  1. The banquet room sat atop a hill overlooking the valley for a fabulous view.
  2. The party colors were gold and green, so we kept imagining we were at a John Deere Tractor Convention.
  3. The banquet room next door had some very fine mariachi music blaring all night, which gave our Tractor Convention some Latino flare.

 

 
At one point in the night, we played an ice breaker game in which my team discovered my 6 sibling roots.  Immediately, one of the girls asked if I was LDS. Later, she confessed that she already suspected that I was LDS because I was wearing a shirt underneath my dress and looked way too modest NOT to be LDS.  Then, when she found out how many siblings I had...well, that confirmed it!  By the way, she was LDS too.

The banquet went far beyond "bedtime" for Raquel and she tuckered right out.  Still, she was an ANGEL all night and stole the hearts of many.

 
 
 

No comments: