Thursday, October 6, 2011

Pregnancy Stories

I hate to disappoint my following, but I don't feel like I have much to post.

Unbelievably, I have had several requests for new cankle shots.  I guess some of you have less to do than I thought.

I guess this is the part where I fill up the rest of my post with deep insight.  First, let me just say, that pregnancy is not really like I thought it would be.  I pretty much don't feel any different than I used to feel.  I suppose the main difference is that now I can pat, cradle, and look with fondness at my growing belly whereas that would have seemed strange pre-pregnancy.

I wish I could say that another difference is that I am more emotional than normal, but truthfully, Luis has seen me cry far too often for me to be able to blame it on pregnancy.  I did have an experience a couple of weeks ago that perhaps was elevated by my state.  I had just returned from grocery shopping and had my usual trunkload of plastic bags to haul upstairs.  It was an evil, hot, day and I was NOT looking forward to multiple trips up and down the stairs.  However, a hoarder's got to do what a hoarder's got to do.  I made trip one and returned to my car for round two.  Suddenly, a meter-reader man was by my side and said, "You're pregnant and shouldn't have to do this.  Let me help you!"  He then proceeded to carry the rest of my groceries up to my apartment.  I thanked him and as soon as I shut the door, started BAWLING... just because he was so nice.  It took me 30 minutes to calm down.

 And now, for a story about weight!
I had a regular check up with my OB recently...only my doctor was out of town, so I was seen by her partner (whom I dislike).  When I was called back, I could tell the nurse was in a hurry.  I stepped on the "professional" scale and she barely flicked the slider before jotting down a number.  Later, when the doctor came in, she disapprovingly told me I had gained 23 lbs so far in my pregnancy!  She gave me that condescending "you've been naughty" look as she informed me that I needed to watch what I ate.

Okay okay, so maybe my pride was hurt, but I truly thought they had made some sort of mistake.  I've been carefully monitoring my cankles and haven't seen much development.  It's not like I've been sitting around all day long eating Twinkies.  Okay, so maybe I did eat that piece of cheesecake last week.  And maybe I did accidentally eat three chocolate chip cookies before bed last night.  But those are rare occasions that don't flare up THAT often.

Anywho, yesterday I had a different appointment where I was, again, weighed.  This time, I was 12 lbs less than what the good doctor had said.  In fact, I was right on track with normal weight gain for a 23-week pregnancy.

Take that doctor!

Still, I prefer to weigh myself on my own scale, for I always end up weighing the least:)


(Pretty brave of me to put my number on here, don't ya think?)

5 comments:

*Brandi said...

Thanks for the cankle picture! I love the story of the meter reader man!!! And P.S. You are no longer allowed to post your pregnant weight on this blog. Thank you. Good night. :)

Amber Madsen said...

YOU ARE BRAVE!!! " WEIGH" to be, hehehe. What a sweet meter reader!! I really wish I could see your cute belly ... REALLY, REALLY, REALLY bad!!!

Charisse said...

I had that EXACT same experience with preggo weight with Savannah. I felt awful when the nurse told me that I need to "eat fruits and veggies and not just go for the chips". My doctor was awesome though and told me I didn't need to worry too mich about the weight, he was sure I would be fine. The next month I "lost" weight and was right on track. I kind of wonder why some offices even HAVE those old school scales, because obviously the nurses don't know how to use them!

McFamily said...

LOL, that's about all I can say. YOu just make me laugh all the time! Yay for cankle picture!!!! Brandi and I were talking about that the other day.

PS, you brave girl, I'd never post my weight!

Karisa Tomkinson said...

I had a similar experience with my next door neighbor just last week... I had our stroller FULL of groceries at the bottom of the stairs (yup... good trick my hubby came up with to make the trips shorter). Clara was inside the house and kept 'teasing' me by almost coming down the stairs. After a load or 2 up, I came out my door and see my next door neighbor carrying the entire stroller and rest of the HEAVY groceries (because I'd saved them for last) up the stairs. I felt SO loved and taken care of.

Um... I must also add that I definitely am not as good as you when it comes to veto-ing the second ice cream sandwich for the day or second handful of oreo's or 3rd cupcake... hmmm... could be why I'm gaining weight a bit faster this pregnancy. :P

Hope you enjoyed reading this novel I left for you. :)